You've heard the name. You may have even noticed it in some products that you have or have seen in the store.
But do know what Sandalwood does?
One of the top benefits of this oil is the ability to promote a smooth complexion and healthy looking skin. Add dōTERRA Sandalwood to your skincare routine to enjoy newly rejuvenated skin. Take advantage of the grounding benefits by diffusing Sandalwood at bedtime to promote a relaxing environment for a good night’s sleep.
Check out these awesome uses and benefits of this oil!
- One of the top benefits of Sandalwood essential oil is its ability to promote healthy looking, smooth skin. Applying Sandalwood to the skin will not only promote a smooth complexion, but can also be helpful in reducing the appearance of skin imperfections. As you can see, there are many benefits to making Sandalwood essential oil a regular part of your skincare routine.
- To use Sandalwood essential oil for your skin, try creating your own at-home spa experience by doing the following: fill a large bowl with steaming water, apply one to two drops of Sandalwood essential oil to your face, and cover your head with a towel. Next, place your face over the steaming water. This at-home spa treatment will leave your skin feeling nourished and rejuvenated.
- Sandalwood essential oil is also useful for enhancing your mood. The grounding, balancing aroma of Sandalwood will help settle and balance emotions. To take advantage of these benefits, apply one to two drops of Sandalwood essential oil to the palms of your hands. Then, cup your hands around your nose and inhale for up to 30 seconds. This will help lessen tension and balance emotions.
- While there are many applications for Sandalwood essential oil on the body and inside the home, it can also be a gardener’s best friend. Studies have shown that Sandalwood essential oil can have positive effects on garden plants. In one study, researchers sprayed several species of plants with a solution of Sandalwood essential oil. After being sprayed, results showed that the essential oil helped the plants cope with environmental stress. If there are plants in your garden that need help surviving times of environmental stress, consider using a Sandalwood essential oil solution to save the day.
- Along with serious benefits for skin and complexion, Sandalwood essential oil also holds benefits for hair. If you want to use Sandalwood essential oil on your hair, simply apply one or two drops of the oil to wet hair. Sandalwood will give your hair extra shine by restoring moisture to your strands. An easy way to work Sandalwood essential oil into your regular haircare regimen is to add a few drops to your daily shampoo or conditioner.
- One of the most common uses for Sandalwood oil is for meditation, due to its grounding and mood-enhancing properties. The sweet, woody aroma of Sandalwood is known to enhance mood—which is why the oil has been used in meditation for centuries. Consider diffusing Sandalwood in your bedroom after a long, stressful day, or before meditation to promote an uplifting atmosphere.
- Not only is Sandalwood essential oil good for the complexion, but it can also contribute to a smooth, comfortable shave. This DIY Shaving Cream uses some of the best oils for skin—Peppermint, Sandalwood, and Tea Tree oil. Combining these soothing oils with shea butter and coconut oil will leave your skin smooth and moisturized after every shave. Perfect for men and women, this comforting concoction is easy to make, and will provide you with a close shave every time.
- While Sandalwood essential oil is helpful for meditation sessions, it can also provide a soothing, relaxed atmosphere even when you aren’t meditating. If you like to relax by taking a hot bath, Sandalwood can create a soothing atmosphere at bath time. After a long day at work or an afternoon of taking care of the kids, or any time you need a little balance, add one to two drops of Sandalwood essential oil to a hot bath to reduce feelings of stress and promote relaxation.
- Because it provides grounding effects, Sandalwood essential oil can also be helpful at bedtime. Diffuse Sandalwood next to your bed as you are going to sleep to help promote a relaxing environment for a restful night’s sleep. You can also apply a few drops of Sandalwood essential oil to the back of your neck before going to sleep to promote an atmosphere that will lead to restful sleep.
Sandalwood trees are known as highly aromatic woods that can retain their fragrance for several decades. Santalum album, or Indian sandalwood, is a native tree of India that has been used for centuries in Indian culture. With the potential to live for up to 100 years, Indian sandalwood grows best in dry, arid places. Sandalwood essential oil is taken from the core of the heartwood, or the oldest, most central wood of the tree. The heartwood of the tree is typically a darker and harder wood that produces an essential oil with a sweet, woody aroma.
Chemistry of Sandalwood Oil
Main Chemical Components: santalol
Sandalwood includes a chemical constituent known as santalol, an alcohol that is known for its grounding effects. Aside from its grounding properties, the alcohol in Sandalwood is also known to beautify skin when used topically, and promote calm, relaxed feelings for a restful night’s sleep when used aromatically. There is a 90 percent concentration of santalol in Sandalwood essential oil—making it useful for skin, a restful sleep environment, and grounding emotions.
Oils that blend well with Sandalwood Oil
Due to its unique aroma that holds both sweet and woody notes, Sandalwood oil blends well with a variety of other oils when diffused. The sweet scents of Sandalwood essential oil make it a good pairing for floral essential oils like Lavender, Jasmine, and Geranium. Sandalwood also blends well with citrus oils like Bergamot or Grapefruit, due to its sweet, uplifting nature. You can also blend Sandalwood essential oil with warm, spicy oils like Frankincense.